The biggest reason to waterproof your basement is to protect your home from gathering unwanted water and moisture. Most choose to have the process done for convenience and aesthetic reasons. They don’t want to mop up water every time it rains and water stains and drips are unsightly and not the type of décor you are looking for, especially if your basement is used as a common room. Sadly basement floods are common across Long Island and Queens.
But Vincent Boccia of Boccia Inc., a highly respected waterproofing and masonry company in New York, suggests that there are secondary results to getting your home waterproofed that can be beneficial to you and your family’s health. When water and moisture collect behind walls and underneath carpets or rugs as a result of not having your basement waterproofed, it becomes a breeding ground for indoor mold and mildew.
Mold is a fungus found naturally in our environment that typically grows in warm, wet, dark places, making basements an ideal place for it to cultivate. Some molds, like penicillin are good while others are toxic and emit gases that can be inhaled. Some people report having no response to being around mold, but there is a potential for health risks. Over the past few years, several studies have been conducted by medical researchers looking for any links between various respiratory and physical ailments and the presence of molds in our homes.
Mold can easily trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in susceptible people. And there are common complaints of flu-like symptoms, migraines, dizziness and nosebleeds associated with breathing in the gases. But these are just the mild symptoms. Although the facts are disputed, a number of researchers claim that mold can attack major systems in the body like the nervous system and the brain.
While it may be difficult to completely rid yourself of exposure to mold since it has been around for millions of years, there is no need to let it move in with you. The more often you frequent an area that has mold growing in it, the more susceptible you become to its adverse effects.
Boccia notes that he has seen more elderly people finally getting their basements waterproofed because they feel that the musty smell and mold growth are beginning to affect their ability to breath in their own homes. Families moving into homes that have not been waterproofed are also opting for the service as well. Young couples with small children are less likely to put up with the nuisances, says Boccia, and more people are planning remodeling projects to convert their basements into family areas.
If mold has already begun to grow, then a number of steps taken by basement waterproofing specialists to remove all existing mold and prevent new growths. Contaminated walls can be taken down and replaced with mold resistant ones and carpets will also have to be removed and disinfected. Overall, according to Boccia, getting your home waterproofed is a necessary preventive measure.
The information in the article is not intended to substitute for the medical expertise and advice of your healthcare provider. We encourage you to discuss any decisions about treatment or care with an appropriate healthcare provider.